There are some days when you just need to eat a salad to make up for all your recent indulgences, right? This avocado and grapefruit chicken salad is perfect for days like that. We love how simple and light this salad is, especially the homemade vinaigrette.
Making homemade dressings cannot be overrated. You know exactly what ingredients are in them and you a tweak them for your personal taste preferences. And best of all, they are pretty hard to mess up. See for yourself how easy this grapefruit vinaigrette is to make.
- 1 ruby red grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- four large handfuls of your favorite greens (a combination of spinach, arugula, kale or whatever you happen to have)
- 1 cup cooked chicken, cut or pulled
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Cook chicken in a skillet with small pinch of salt and a generous amount of pepper. Allow to cool.
- Slice the avocado.
- Slice the grapefruit in half over a large bowl. Using a knife, slice between the membranes to separate the segments of grapefruit. Set the pieces aside.
- Squeeze each of what's left of the grapefruit halves so that the juice collects in the same large bowl you used when slicing your grapefruit segments.
- Whisk in the olive oil and vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you’re like us, you’ll need a good bit of salt and pepper to balance all the flavors.
- Create your salads by topping your greens with the cooked chicken, avocado slices and grapefruit segments. Drizzle as much vinaigrette as you please! Refrigerate the he leftover dressing for up to 2 weeks
Adapted from I’m So Hungry I Could Blog’s wonderful recipe.