If you are looking for an easy weeknight meal, try this Asian Kale Coconut Chicken. I discovered this recipe several years ago and it’s become one of my go-to recipes. For starters, it’s super simple. But maybe even more importantly, Josh LOVES it. And Josh is always looking for new ways to enjoy is favorite food – brown rice.
What Kind Of Brown Rice Should I Use?
We’ve gone through phases with the types of brown rice we use. For a while it was gorgeous, aromatic jasmine brown rice all the time. And I’m sure jasmine rice would pair fantastically with these Asian flavors (and make your house smell fantastic). Currently though, we are super into the short grain brown rice variety. It has such great texture but also fluffs up so nicely.
We even love topping a small bowl of short grain brown rice with a little sea salt and toasted sesame seeds. So good. Try it and you’ll see for yourself what a healthy treat brown rice can be all on it’s own!
We especially love how easy it is to start our rice in the rice cooker and just let it do it’s thing. No burning rice or pots boiling over on the stove. Just press start and let the magic happen. It’s that easy. We use this model from Oyama and highly recommend it. Like, if it broke today, I’d go buy the exact same cooker tomorrow. So yeah, you can take that recommendation seriously.
Pro Tips On Cooking This Recipe
I digress a bit. You see, my point is that we love how this dish is the perfect way to spice up our brown rice routine. I get the rice started in our rice cooker while I prepare the kale and coconut mixture for baking.
I encourage you to line the baking sheets with parchment paper so that the kale gets crispy but doesn’t burn. Keep an eye on the kale while it bakes, turning it at least once during the cook time to make sure the pieces cook evenly. After allowing the kale and coconut to cool slightly, mix the kale and coconut mixture in with the chicken until you like the ratio.
Let us know how you like this recipe and feel free to share more kale recipes in the comments section!
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed and cut into large pieces
- 1 cup coconut, shredded
- 1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Start cooking the rice in a rice cooker or on the stove.
- Saute the chicken and set aside to cool and shred.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce and red pepper flakes. In a large bowl, toss kale and coconut with the ½ of the sauce.
- Lay out the kale and coconut in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 15 minutes, flipping the kale at least once during baking.
- Mix the crispy kale and coconut with the chicken and the remaining sauce.
- Serve over a large spoonful of warm brown rice.